Orientation Information for New Students
Welcome to your one-stop shop for learning more about your program, registering for your courses and connecting with a wide range of student resources.
As an App State Online student, you'll have full access to a depth and breadth of university services - including technical assistance, tutoring and academic advising - so that you can achieve your academic and professional goals. Whether you are learning online or taking classes at one of our off-campus locations, you'll get the support you need.
I've been accepted! Now what?
Undergraduate students should register for an App State Online New Student Session
Learn about your next steps, including registration, tuition and fees, textbooks, resources and much more.
Set up your email
This is the official way to communicate with university personnel. Click here for set-up instructions. It is essential for your success that you check your App State email regularly.
Get familiar with AppalNet
Use Appalnet Self Service to register, check grades, make payments and access other student information.
Register for classes
- Check the Academic Calendar for deadlines and when you can register.
- Watch App State Online's Registration Tutorial below
- Look for your classes.
- Register (add or drop courses) through Appalnet Self Service.
Undergraduate students can participate in the textbook rental program. Students’ required digital textbooks will be available via AsULearn on the first day of class. All students are automatically enrolled in the new rental program with the option to opt out. The associated fee is part of your tuition and fees. There is a deadline for opting out each term, so please read the information on the bookstore site carefully.
Graduate students, or undergrads who have opted out of the rental program, can find textbook information via the Appalachian Bookstore approximately one month before the semester begins. Enter your Banner ID and log in with your Appalachian username and password to view textbooks. You will be responsible for acquiring your textbooks by gathering the titles and ISBNs and purchase your textbooks elsewhere.
Pay for classes
- Visit Student Accounts for costs and payment plans.
- Financial Aid is available to distance education students who qualify.
- Access your Student Accounts portal through Appalnet Self Service.
- Visit Residency Determination Service if you are claiming in-state residency regardless of the length of time in North Carolina.
Will I get a student ID card?
New students need to submit a photo to be used for their ID cards. You must follow these instructions and specifications for submitting your photo and your card will be mailed to you by the Office of Online and Transfer Services or the Graduate School. Your AppCard has associated benefits such as student discounts as well as on-campus and off-campus library services.
Classes are beginning soon. How do I get started?
- Use AsULearn to log in to your online classes, or find your classroom.
- Use Zoom for interacting with professors and fellow students.
- Check your Appalachian email account for messages from your instructor or other Appalachian staff.
- Request accommodations through the Office of Disability Resources.
What do I need to know about my program?
- Are you an undergraduate student? Start here.
- Are you a graduate student? Start here.
- Follow your course path in DegreeWorks.
- Check the Career Development Center for counseling, job/internship assistance and more.
I require some assistance with my classes.
- If you are new to App State Online, whether completely online, hybrid or in a site-based program, the Online Learning 101 Orientation provides great resources and recommendations on technology, fitting your program
into your life, the online classroom and student services.
- Need technical support? Live chat with consultants, check computer requirements and download software through IT Support Services.
- For help with research, access Library services through Appalachian or the UNC system.
- Contact the University Writing Center's online services for writing assistance.
- Balancing your life and school an issue? Try these tips.
What are my expectations as an Appalachian State student?
- Familiarize yourself with academic standards for undergraduates or graduates.
- Review the Code of Conduct.
- Grievance Procedure
Not finding your classes or having other issues?
Schedule a video chat with your App State Online admission counselor.
Or contact us via email or phone:
New Undergraduate Student Information Sessions
Registration 101 and Getting Started
Learn the ins and outs to get started as an App State Online student. A representative from AppState Online will be available for questions.
- Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 6:30 PM (EST) - Register here.
Keys to Excel in your App State Online Program
Learn more about the App State Online experience, including available services and resources to help meet the individual student's needs. Gain insights on best practices for online and off-campus learning.
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 6:30 PM (EST) - Register here.
- Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 6:30 PM (EST) - Register here.