Costs are adding up. What financial resources are available?
With App State Online, you are connected to the Appalachian campus with access to world-class professors and top-notch Mountaineer resources, without most of the fees applicable to on-campus students. Explore the tabs to the left to learn about financial aid, identify scholarship opportunities and determine the best options for you.
Tuition Fees & Payment
Financial aid is available to App State Online students under the same guidelines and process that apply to on-campus students. To access more information, visit Financial Aid and read the section, titled "Appstate Online".
Undergraduate Students Only
Part-time App State Online students, taking classes at both Appalachian and another institution in the same semester, should take advantage of the Appalachian Learning Alliance Consortium Agreement to combine credits for financial aid purposes.
In addition to tuition and fees, other costs associated with the academic programs could include:
- The non-refundable application fee (except when a cohort is canceled due to insufficient interest)
- Textbooks (App State Online students are not eligible to participate in the Campus Bookstore's textbook rental program).
- Transcript orders for coursework taken outside of Appalachian State University.
- Course-specific materials as specified by the faculty teaching the course.
- The cost of required admission tests (e.g. GRE or MAT for admission to graduate programs, the Praxis I and Praxis II for teacher education majors and licensure candidates).
- Some online courses may require proctored exams. Please visit UNC Online to search available exam proctors near you.
- Unique, specific software or hardware. Some technology resources are available to App State Online students.
- Parking fee, if required by the host site
- The graduation fee
- The cost of the cap and gown, if participating in the ceremony
Main Campus and App State Online Fees and Services
Interested in switching to App State Online from Main Campus? Click here.
Main Campus tuition and fees differ from App State Online costs. If you register for a main campus course, even if it is delivered online, you will pay the same tuition and fees as Main Campus students for that course. Main campus tuition and fee rates are published by Student Accounts.
If you are unsure about whether or not a course is App State Online or Main Campus, see the campus column or "Cmp" field. MC=Main Campus; EX=App State Online.
- Course drop or reduction of class schedule: Dropping one or more individual courses while remaining enrolled in at least one course during a given semester
- Withdrawing: Dropping all courses in a given semester. May require readmission.
Visit Office of the Registrar for more information.
To see how withdrawing from the semester or reducing your course load will affect costs, visit Student Accounts.
Financial aid recipients considering dropping a class or withdrawing from their program should review Financial Aid Withdrawal policies for the impact the schedule change would have on any financial aid awarded. Under certain circumstances, dropping and/or withdrawing from courses may result in required repayment of funds received.
Residency For Tuition Purposes
Transfer, outside and need-based scholarship opportunities are available to incoming and current students.
Search and browse current opportunities to see which ones apply to you!
Visit Appalachian's Scholarship website for full details.
For graduate scholarships and aid, visit the graduate school website for more information.
Student Perks & Discounts
Using your AppCard, many businesses offer student discounts to help you save money. View this document to see a list of some of the companies that offer discounts and incentives to students.